To provide female actors with guidance and inspiration in developing their craft and advancing their acting careers. The six-month program will match successful applicants (Mentees) with female working actors (Mentors), with whom they will meet for one hour, once a month for six months. The Mentee will be prepared for these meetings with clear questions as well as a development path for feedback.
It should be noted that while Mentees can, of course, be active in other areas of the Film & Television industry, this mentorship program is focused solely on acting careers and is not intended to aid actors in expanding into other areas (i.e. producing, writing or directing).
ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS
Mentee applicants must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age or older
- Active WIFTV Member (Associate, Professional, or Executive Member) in good standing – see more information about and apply for membership here
- Not currently involved in any other mentorship program or full-time student program
- Three years of acting experience, not including a student program
- IMDB profile with a minimum of three acting credits
- Clear and realistic expectations and goals for the program (i.e. Why do you want to be part of the program? How will it help you?)
- Initiative in career growth, such as creating or finding own work outside of agent representation; and participation in the community, such as event attendance etc.
- An open mind towards feedback and changes suggested by the mentor, as well as a willingness to try new ways of doing things
- *Payment of $25.00 CDN application fee – register and pay here *You must be a WITFTV member in good standing to apply for this program
- *Payment of $50.00 CDN program fee – if selected to be a part of the program *Due upon selection (if selected for the program) in January 2021
HOW TO APPLY
Please review the program FAQ or contact Program Director, Krista Magnusson at email@example.com if you have any questions about the program.
- Please review the program FAQ to ensure this is a good fit for you
- Register and pay the $25.00 CDN application fee
- Download and complete the Application Form. Please answer all Application Questions (Statistical Questions at the end of the form are optional)
- Email the completed Application Form along with your CV and headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org with ACTOR MENTORSHIP in the subject line
- Application deadline is 11:45 PM Pacific Time, November 8, 2020
The entire program is aimed at maximizing the benefits of the Mentees, while minimizing the expectations and time requirements of the Mentors.
When a Mentee is matched with a Mentor and confirms participation in the program, the entire Mentee application package will be sent to the Mentor for review. This will provide the Mentor with all information needed about the Mentee, including past industry experiences, current activities, goals, and other relevant information so that the pair can start detailed goal-oriented conversations right away. Ideally, this will avoid the first two of six sessions being spent getting to know each other. In turn, the Mentee is expected to research their Mentor, knowing their history as much as possible prior to meeting, to avoid obvious questions.
Mentees will meet with Mentors once per month for 60 minutes. Ideally, this meeting would be in person; however, considering the current circumstances, Zoom/Skype meetings and phone calls are appropriate. No less than 24 hours prior to each meeting, the Mentee will email the Mentor an update, with specific topic(s) to discuss and questions to address in the upcoming meeting.
Throughout the program, both Mentees and Mentors will be checked in on by Program Director Krista Magnusson, and regularly asked for feedback.
October 14 – November 8, 2020: Applications Accepted via WIFTV
November 2020: Application Review
- A jury minimum of 3 people, kept confidential from the Board of WIFTV, will review the applicants and rank them according to program criteria.
- The jury will match as many applicants as possible to participating Mentors.
December 2020 – Early January 2021: Notification
- Recipients will be notified of their acceptance to the program and their participation confirmed.
- Any recipients unable to participate will have their Mentor reassigned to another appropriate applicant.
- Additional Mentors will try to be found for remaining appropriate applicants and matched if possible.
- Any applicants that were not accepted to the program or matched with a mentor will be notified by early January 2021.
January - June 2021: Program is Active!
- Mentors & Mentees will have monthly meetings and be in contact with Krista Magnusson with any feedback along the way.
- March 2021 - All Mentors & Mentees will be invited to attend the virtual Vancouver International Women in Film Festival (#VIWFF2021).
July 2021: Post-Mentorship
- Participants will be asked to submit a report on their experience.
- Mentors will be surveyed for final feedback on participants.