WIFTV Presents: FROM OUR DARK SIDE
***ATTENTION: DEADLINE ENDS MIDNIGHT PACIFIC STANDARD TIME TONIGHT, meaning OO:OO AM ON JAN. 5TH***
A national English language contest seeking the best in Canadian women-driven Genre Film ideas!
Sponsored by Super Channel, Telefilm Canada and Creative B.C.
Click here for a full description of the contest.
- Project must be an ORIGINAL concept for a narrative feature film
- Project must be a GENRE film (science fiction, fantasy, horror and thriller or a combination of these)
- Project must be written by a woman and have a strong representation of women’s roles
- Co-writers may apply, but all of the writers must be women
- Contestants retain all rights to their projects
- Writers may apply with a maximum of two projects. In the case of co-writers, each writer may submit a maximum of two entries. For example, a writing team of two women may submit four projects total. Each entry requires its own registration and payment.
- Contest is open to Canadian citizens and residents
- Feedback cannot be provided on any submissions
- Once an application is submitted, new or updated versions may not be submitted
- Entrants agree to indemnify and hold From Our Dark Side, WIFTV, including our employees, our officers, and our partners and affiliates harmless against all claims arising out of entry or participation in the contest.
- By submitting your contest application you agree that you have read, understood, and agree to all the aforementioned contest rules and regulations. You also assert that you are the author and owner of the original work.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Pay the registration fee by clicking on the registration button above.
- The registration fee is $15 for WIFTV members and $25 for non-members. Registration fees are non-refundable.
- Prepare the following as one single pdf document in the following order:
- a first page containing the project title WITHOUT revealing your identity; a LOGLINE (a short sentence that states the genre of the film, protagonists their goal and their main obstacle); and a fifty-word SYNOPSIS of the project that introduces the main character(s), summarizes the main plot, the conflict, and the overall arc of the story (beginning, middle, and end) using words that reveal tone, genre, and intended audience;
- a 3-5 page script OUTLINE, which is essentially an expanded synopsis of the project—do not submit a completed screenplay or treatment - outlines over 5 pages will not be accepted;
- your resume in brief, remove your name and address from your resume.
- All materials must be in English, 12 point font, double spaced
- Compile the first page, outline and resume into one single pdf and send via email to email@example.com.
- Please put From our Dark Side AND your project title in the subject line.
- Please do not send multiple documents.
- In your email body: include full name, address including Province, contact information (email and phone).
Winners will be required to write and deliver a 15-page treatment of their project to their mentor on completion of the mentorship experience and will receive feedback on this treatment.
ATTENTION / RELEASE RULES:
By submitting to the From Our Dark Side contest, the applicant(s) agree(s) to the following submission release rules:
- You own or control the Outline. You have the full and exclusive right to submit the Outline to WIFV and no other person or corporation has any right, title or interest in the Proposal. The Outline is not defamatory and does not infringe upon or violate the privacy rights, copyrights, trademarks, publicity or other intellectual or proprietary rights of any third party.
- WIFTV has the right to copy, use and distribute the Outline for the purpose of its evaluation and review. If you are chosen as a finalist or winner of the contest, WIFTV has the right to publicize the title and a description of the Outline as well as your name as the author.
- WIFTV, its representatives or assigns, including the jury and mentors for this contest, may already, or in the future be developing materials similar to the Outline. You acknowledge they have the unrestricted right to use these similar materials and you will have no right or recourse against WIFTV, its representatives or assigns for use of these similar materials.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- CONTEST DEADLINE: JANUARY 4, 2016
- TOP TEN ANNOUNCEMENT—FEBRUARY 2016
- TOP FIVE WINNERS ANNOUNCED- FEBRUARY 2016
- PRESENTATION at WIFTV FESTIVAL MARCH 2016