WIFTV PRESENTS: FROM OUR DARK SIDE (#FODS2020)
Application deadline: October 31st, 2019 midnight Pacific Standard Time
- Project must be an ORIGINAL concept for a narrative feature film with the potential to be a limited series (6-8 webisodes or episodes)
- Project must be GENRE (science fiction, fantasy, horror and thriller or a combination of these)
- Project must be written by a self-identifying woman and have a female protagonist and strong representation of women’s roles
- Co-writers may apply, but all the writers must be self-identifying women
- Women producers may apply with a genre project written by a woman (producer must demonstrate that she has the rights to the project)
- Contestants retain all rights to their projects
- Writers or producers may apply with a maximum of two projects.
- In the case of co-writers, each writer may submit a maximum of two entries. For example, a writing team of two women may submit four projects total. Each entry requires its own registration and payment.
- Contest is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Feedback cannot be provided on any submissions
- Once an application is submitted, new or updated versions may not be submitted
- Entrants agree to indemnify and hold From Our Dark Side, WIFTV, including our employees, our officers, and our partners and affiliates harmless against all claims arising out of entry or participation in the contest
- Winners will be required to participate in the incubator program including attendance at VIWFF in March 2020, delivery of a 15-page treatment or first draft of their project by May 1 2020, attendance at the Frontieres C-Production Market in July 2020.(Travel and accommodation subsidies available).
- By submitting your contest application, you agree that you have read, understood, and agree to all the aforementioned contest rules and regulations. You also assert that you are the author and owner of the original work
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Click on "Register Now" button above and pay the registration and answer the required questions.
- The registration fee is $15 for WIFTV members and $25 for non-members. Registration fees are non-refundable. (Members of other WIF chapters may receive the WIFTV member discount by contacting the office at (email@example.com)
- Prepare the following as one single pdf document in the following order:
- a first page containing the project title; a LOGLINE (a short sentence that states the genre of the film, protagonists, their goal and their main obstacle); and a 50-word SYNOPSIS of the project that introduces the main character(s), summarizes the main plot, the conflict, and the overall arc of the story (beginning, middle, and end) using words that reveal tone, genre, and intended audience;
- a 3-5 page script OUTLINE, which is essentially an expanded synopsis of the project – do not submit a completed screenplay or treatment – outlines over five pages will not be accepted;
- a one-page description of the project as a limited series (for example, how might the project be divided into six to eight parts)
- your resume in brief
- If your concept touches upon Indigenous traditional knowledge, linguistic or cultural intellectual property, please include an additional page where describe your relationship to this content and how appropriate protocols are/will be observed or addressed.
- All materials must be in English, 12-point font, double-spaced
- Compile the first page, outline, webisode description and resume (and additional page regarding Indigenous content if applicable) into one single pdf and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put From Our Dark Side AND your project title in the subject line.
- Please do not send multiple documents.
- In your email body: include full name, address including province, contact information (email and phone).
ATTENTION / RELEASE RULES:
By submitting to the From Our Dark Side contest, the applicant(s) agree(s) to the following submission release rules:
- You own or control the Outline. You have the full and exclusive right to submit the Outline to WIFTV and no other person or corporation has any right, title or interest in the Proposal. The Outline is not defamatory and does not infringe upon or violate the privacy rights, copyrights, trademarks, publicity or other intellectual or proprietary rights of any third party.
- WIFTV has the right to copy, use and distribute the Outline for the purpose of its evaluation and review. If you are chosen as a finalist or winner of the contest, WIFTV has the right to publicize the title and a description of the Outline as well as your name as the author.
- WIFTV, its representatives or assigns, including the jury and mentors for this contest, may already, or in the future, be developing materials similar to the Outline. You acknowledge they have the unrestricted right to use these similar materials and you will have no right or recourse against WIFTV, its representatives or assigns for use of these similar materials.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- CONTEST DEADLINE: October 31st, 2019
- TOP FIVE WINNERS ANNOUNCED: JANUARY 2020
- ATTENDANCE AT THE VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL WOMEN IN FILM FESTIVAL: MARCH 2020
- COMPLETION OF FIRST DRAFT OR TREATMENT BY MAY 1ST 2020
- ATTENDANCE AT FRONTIERES CO-PRODUCTION MARKET: JULY 2020