From Our Dark Side 5 was announced in March 2019
This year’s jury consisted of Producer Rupert Harvey, Raven Banner Entertainment Executives Michael Paszt and Andrew Step, Producer Steph Ouaknine, Director Nicholas Humphries, Screenwriter/Actor/Director Sonja Bennett and Screenwriter Dennis Heaton.
Top 5 Winners
Mary Cross, Guelph, ON; 50
Caitlin Vanstone, Vancouver, B.C.; Fire Lookout
Kaye MacDonald, Verdun, QC; Flesh
Melanie Butler, Sooke, B.C.; Hotel Ghost
Ashlea Wessel, Toronto, ON; Tick
From Our Dark Side 4 was announced in March 2018.
The winners were selected by a jury that included of screenwriter Glynis Whiting, Producer Maureen Levitt, Producer Rupert Harvey, Raven Banner Entertainment Executives Michael Paszt and Andrew Step, Vanessa Meyer from the Frontieres Film Market, and Producer Steph Ouaknine.
Top 5 Winners
Reem Morsi, ON; Fish
- Winner of two out of three awards (Best Screenplay & Audience Choice) at the 2018 WIFT-T Showcase
- Selected for the 2018 Realness African Screenwriter Residency for her project Bootleg
- Selected for the Durban Film Mart for her project Bootleg
- Selected for 2018 Talent to Watch program as the Director and Writer for the film Hate in partnership with the Creative Women Workshops Association
Nicole Steeves, NS; The Method
- Selected as a FIN 2018 Script Development Program Participant for The Method
Alison Hepburn, ON; The Truth About Lightning
- The Truth About Lightning now has director Audrey Cummings and producer Tony Wosk from Middle Child Films attached
Jessica Tremblay, BC; Storage
Sandi Gisbert, BC; Opal
From Our Dark Side 3 was announced in March 2017.
The winners were selected by a jury that included Rupert Harvey (The Blob, A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child); producer Mary Ann Waterhouse (Primary, The Thaw, Fido); executive producer Michael Paszt (Turbo Kid, Borealis); executive producer and writer, Simon Barry (Van Helsing, Continuum); market manager for Fantasia International Film Festival and Frontičres International Co-Production Market, Vanessa Meyer; and president of Mongrel Media, Charlotte Mickie.
Top 5 Winners
Mariel Scammell, QC; The Lot
- Selected for 2018 Talent to Watch as a Producer for the film Bleed With Me in partnership with Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema at Concordia University
Melanie Jones, BC; Switchback
- Accepting into the 2018 Reykjavík International Film Festival Talent Lab
- Selected as one of six Crazy8’s 2018 finalist and went into production as Director and Writer of Shuttlecock
Bridget Canning, NFL; Water from Stones
- Selected to screen her short film, Casey, at Telefilm’s Canada’s Not Short on Talent – Short Film Corner at Cannes
Elle Wild, BC; Strange Things Done
- A Girl’s Guide to the End of the World was long-listed for the 2018 Jacob Zilber Prize for Short Fiction
Samantha Loney, ON; Married to Murder
From Our Dark Side 2 was announced in February 2016.
The winners were selected by a jury that included director/producer/actor Amanda Tapping (Sanctuary, Continuum), Producer Rupert Harvey (The Blob, A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child), producer Mary Ann Waterhouse (Primary, The Thaw), producer Carrie S. Mudd (Sanctuary), Managing Partner at Raven Banner Entertainment, Executive Producer Michael Paszt (WolfCop II, Borealis), and Super Channel Creative Development Executive Maureen Levitt.
Top 5 Winners
Ana de Lara, Victoria, BC; The Chosen One
- Selected for 2018 Talent to Watch as a Producer for the film All In Madonna in partnership with National Screen Institute – Canada
- 2016 MPPIA Short Film Award Winner for Good Girls Don’t
Elisabeth de Mariaffi, St. John's, NL; Fly Girls
- Published and released novel, Hysteria, in March 2018
- Fly Girls was options by Triton Media in December 2016
Gada Jane, Kitchener, ON; Video Star
- Selected to take part in a 10-week program at Storytek, a media-technology accelerator and content creation hub in Tallinn, the capital and largest city in Estonia.
- Selected for Created By Women Pitch Sessions at Frontieres Film Market 2017 and 2018.
Jennifer Krukowski, Toronto, ON; Right Hand Rule
Ashley Lynch, Burnaby, BC; Suicide Girl
The inaugural From Our Dark Side was announced in January 2015.
The winners were selected by a jury that included director/producer/actor Amanda Tapping (Sanctuary, Continuum) director/producer Rachel Talalay (Dr. Who, Nightmare on Elm Street), L.A.-based The Allegiance Theater’s VP of Development Carly Norris (previously with Vertigo Entertainment on films such as Godzilla, The Strangers, the Uninvited and Quarantine), Director of Montreal’s Frontičres International Co-Production Market focusing on genre film Lindsay Peters, and Super Channel Creative Development Executive Maureen Levitt.
Top 5 Winners
Lindsey McNeill, Edmonton, AB; Gillian's Just Right
- Selected for Creative Minds Program, Cannes Film Festival 2015 for her film project Gillian's Just Right
Gloria Ui Young Kim, Toronto, ON; Deception
- Winner of the 2016 Women in the Directors Chair national award worth $190,000 for the feature film Debra and Mona
Carleen Kyle, Vancouver, BC; Interspecies Family Therapy
- Selected for Created By Women Pitch Sessions at Frontieres Film Market 2018
Kate Lingley, Vancouver, BC; In the Same Vein
Shereen Jerrett, Winnipeg, MA; The Woman Upstairs