Submissions are now closed.
Welcome to the 2018 Vancouver International Women in Film Festival Screenplay Competition
VIWIFF 2018 is committed to highlighting the best stories the world has to offer that are written by women. The festival is a forum for collaboration and networking with other screenwriters and filmmakers who contribute to the visibility of women through the ongoing practice of their craft.
We encourage you to submit a feature film script of any genre, challenging the perceptions of what stories women write, and what we want to see. We welcome a diversity of women’s interests and stories.
This category is a competition.
Winner receives a cash prize.
Official Selections receive a festival pass and are invited to attend VIWIFF 2018.
Women tell amazing, dynamic, interesting, thought-provoking, affecting, inspiring, funny and down-right exciting stories. We want to read them all!
Submit the following as one pdf document:
- The first act, up to a maximum of 30 pages
- a Title page that includes only:
- the title
- a synopsis to a maximum 500 words only
*** NO IDENTIFYING INFORMATION ALLOWED ***
Submissions officially selected into the Festival will be asked to submit the full script for consideration for nomination for the Grand Prize. Changes made to the first act already submitted will disqualify the script.
Script must use standard industry format (12 Courier font)
Script must be an ORIGINAL concept for a narrative feature film (No TV pilots or specs, treatments or adaptations). All screenplay genres are accepted.
All Entries will be judged on content, creativity, imagery, story, formatting, and the skill of the screenwriter.
Scripts must be between 80-120 pages.
- Contest is open to female screenwriters. Collaborations with two writing partners accepted, where one of the writers is a female.
- Writers may apply with more than one screenplay. Each must be submitted separately.
- All rights remain with the writer. However, the writer does give the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival permission to feature, and advertise the work submitted for promotion of the festival.
- Do not send resumes or press kits with screenplay.
- Due to the large number of screenplays we receive, we regret that we cannot provide any feedback on individual submissions.
- Once you have submitted your screenplay, we cannot accept a new or updated version.
- Transportation to and accommodation at the festival is solely the responsibility of the participant.
- Entrants agree to indemnify and hold us, including our employees, our officers, and our partners and affiliates harmless against all claims arising out of entry or participation in the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival.
- Official Selections will be contacted approximately one month prior to the festival.
- By submitting your film or screenplay to the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival you agree that you have read, understood, and agree to all the aforementioned festival rules and guidelines. You also assert that you are the author and owner of the original work.
Entry fee is non-refundable.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org