Vancouver International Women in Film Festival (#VIWIFF)
March 8 – 12, 2017
Film submissions are now closed.
For information about the VIWIFF International Screenplay Competition, click here.
FILM SUBMISSION RULES AND REGULATIONS:
The Vancouver International Women in Film Festival accepts documentary, narrative, animated and experimental films in any genre and any length.
To be eligible at least three of the following key creative roles must have been filled by women: Writer, Producer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Composer, Lead Performer.
- The same woman may fill more than one role.
- In the event that any of the three eligible roles are shared, they must be shared by women, with the exception of the producer role, where 50% of the producers must be women.
- Films must reflect these credits in their submitted material.
Films completed after March 2014 are eligible.
Films that have received a theatrical release in the Vancouver, BC area prior to the festival are not eligible. (Festival screenings are not considered as theatrical release.)
Films that have received other forms of distribution, such as subscriber television or online platforms, are eligible. Please note that a film’s ability to generate audiences is a programming consideration.
Should the submitted film not adhere to the rules, WIFTV retains the right to disqualify said film and is under no obligation to contact the submitting party and/or refund the submission fee.
Selection and Notification:
- Submissions will be reviewed by a selection of judges appointed by the Festival Programming Committee, a committee of the Board of Directors of Women in Film and Television Vancouver.
- Filmmakers will be notified of the decision by mid-January 2017.
- All communications will be sent electronically, including selection and notification letters. Please make sure the email address and phone number provided as the submission contact on the entry form are correct!
- If selected for VIWIFF 2017, acceptance of the invitation to screen at the festival must be received within one week of notification.
- If selected for VIWIFF 2017, exhibition copies must be delivered to WIFTV by February 6, 2017.
- Exhibition copies must be accompanied by a link to a password protected site where festival organizers and press can view your film.
- Filmmakers, or their representatives, of selected films must cover the cost of shipping to the festival. The festival will cover return shipping.
- Exhibition formats will be accepted in PAL or NTSC, but must be one of the following: Blu-ray, DCP or a QuickTime compliant file.
- At the time of acceptance, the following electronic promotional materials must be delivered: a short synopsis, a minimum of one (1) still photograph from the film, a list of the film’s credits, links to any social media sites or reviews related to the film, a list of awards (if any) the film has received, a list of all places the film has or will have screened prior to VIWIFF 2017.
- If selected by VIWIFF 2017, a short clip or clips from the film (up to two minutes), in high resolution, must be delivered by February 6, 2017, preferably via downloadable link. These will be used for the festival trailer and other promotional opportunities.
- Promotional materials of films selected for VIWIFF 2017 become the property of VIWIFF 2017 and can be used to promote VIWIFF 2017 in all media, including film, television, radio, print, and the Internet.
- Submissions are accepted through
- The following submission screeners (viewing copies) are accepted:
- As an upload to Withoutabox
- As an upload to FilmFreeway
- As a password protected link to an online platform like Vimeo, to be included in the cover letter of your WAB or FilmFreeway submission. The link must remain active for the duration of our jurying process (up until the time of notification)
- DVDs are not accepted
- Submission must include:
- The name and gender of the key creative credits (Writer, Producer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Composer and Lead Performer). Please be specific; names will not suffice as gender identification.
- A short synopsis
- Running time
- Screening history (links must be included for all films that have been made available online).
- Any changes to the screening history (post-submission) must be provided to the festival
- A press kit is not required at the time of submission
Vancouver International Women in Film Festival
Women in Film + Television Vancouver
503-207 West Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Vancouver International Women in Film Festival will make every effort to ensure the safe keeping of all films and videos submitted for exhibition. However, the applicant, in applying to the Festival, agrees to release the Festival, its Officers, Directors and other representatives from any and all claims arising in any way from the submission of materials by, or on behalf of, the Applicant, whether film, video or otherwise to the Festival. Your submission implies that you have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration, along with your acceptance of VIWIFF regulations. It also implies that you have read and understood the festival regulations. Finally, you agree to allow VIWIFF the use of your film and publicity materials from your film for promotional purposes.